It has begun. Our 5 month old son Jubal has begun the inevitable journey of all young ones.... teething! In January he started gumming at everything. And you know what, that was okay. It was cute, he was drooling so we just took his onesies off and showed off his cute rolls and adorable cloth diapers.
Fast forward to the third week of January.
He was shreaking! He cried out in pain that night like no other cry he had before. My momma-brain first thought of nurisng him. But you know, he didn't want the boob. Nope. He was in too much pain. This broke my heart. I felt like I wasn't working, like I wasn't enough for my son. So Brent, God bless his heart, walked with Jubal around the house and tried various teething solutions: cold teething monkey, cold washcloth, squishy chew toys, homeopathic Camilia, gum massages... nope nope and nope.
It took 45 minutes of walking around with him for him to calm down and fall asleep.
I did not want this for my sweet boy. That took too long. I could not imagine this happening on a regular basis.
So Jubal and I took a whole morning to bring up all my Herbal textbooks and Infant Health textbooks to the dining room table from the basement. We nursed, sang, rocked, danced, and giggled. Then he slept in my arms and I went to work. That afternoon was filled with research.
I made a plan. And guess what? It worked.
We have been free of that shreaking pain for nearly 2 weeks now! The most he has had is a wee bit of pain that has lasted for maybe 5 minutes. Maybe. And even more than that, he nursed when I offered to help with the pain.
Breastmilk has natural painkillers in it, so horray for breastmilk as a solution!
My plan included:
- a herbal infused oil for gum massage throughout the day
- a mild clove oil to help when nothing else does
- a homemade homeopathic chamomile remedy for when he cries when put down (for diaper changes)
- herbal soaked wooden rings with washcloths attached (one for the freezer, diaper bag, and living room)
- accupressure performed by his Daddyo using the 4 gates theory and focusing on Liver 3 and Intestine 4
- herbal infused oil for face and body massage
- lavender diffuser in use
- lavender chamomile baths
- rest and relaxation
And drumroll for the kicker...
- a herbal blend I formulated as a tea for me to drink so it could go through my milk to Jube
I know, it sounds like a lot. But it all works pretty simply. Stay tuned for more information as to how each of these worked for us and how they fit into a day filled with Mommying.